Pages

June 1, 2011

Lemon chicken

Lemon chicken

I know I have made lemon chicken before, but I couldn't resist sharing this recipe with you. Of course it's different from my other version (it's not spicy, just to name a difference) but both are equally good. They're just different, therefore making it worthwhile posting this recipe.
Everytime I make myself lemon chicken, I could eat the whole batch.. That wouldn't be a problem at all! Of course I didn't actually do that, I carefully divided it over 2 plates, and I took the other serving with me to work today.


Tomorrow will be a national holiday over here so I've got the day off! I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do, probably some running, household chores, and some studying. Oh and holiday planning, which is going really well. So far, all hotels and my car have been arranged (and the flight of course). I can't really think of anything else that needs to be booked, but who knows, something might come up.



Lemon chicken (serves 2)
- 400g chicken breasts, diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 red sweet point peppers, chopped
- 100g shii-takes, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup creamed coconut
- 1 sprig lemongrass
- 2 cm piece of ginger
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp coconut oil


1. Heat coconut oil in a wok and fry the chicken until browned.
2. Add spring onions, peppers and shii-take, fry for about a minute and then add the coriander, cardamom and black pepper.
3. Stir in the creamed coconut, along with 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
4. Add lemongrass and ginger, reduce to heat to low and cover the wok with a lid.
5. Simmer for at least 30 minutes so the spices can release their flavours.
6. In the mean time, zest your lemon and juice 1/2 of it. Save the other half of the lemon for other purposes.
7. When the curry is almost done and has thickened, take out the lemongrass and ginger and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.
8. Divide over 2 plates, garnish with some lemon zest and serve with a salad or stir-fried veggies. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. YUM!!

    Another really great way to use lemon with chicken is to slice 3 lemons really thin and stuff the slices with rosemary (fresh or dried) under the skin and roast.

    I pour lemon juice and lots of pepper over the top of the skin.. with a little garlic powder too and roast... This is my very fav. chicken right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that's actually a really good idea! Chicken and lemon simply combine very well.. You're making me hungry telling me about that chicken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are sweet point peppers? Are they the same as sweet bell peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crispy! No they're not the same.. They're the same as red poblano peppers.

    ReplyDelete