Pages

June 10, 2011

Creamy spinach

Creamy spinach

Yay, weekend!! It's been a long and busy week..
I've been doing quite some studying, some sports, but kept my meals really simple because I wanted to eat clean this week, making sure I didn't get any cravings. This afternoon (which usually happens on Fridays) I did get some cravings but didn't give in to them. I've also been a little tired these days, perhaps because I haven't been able to get enough sleep (due to waking up too early) and I might have a small virus bothering me. Therefore I've been taking some extra vitamin C and probiotics.
And to prevent further cravings tonight I scooped the cream off the top of a can of coconut milk and mixed it with some cocoa and desiccated coconut (I didn't use anything to sweeten it, I found the coconut added enough sweetness already). Very yummy, contains a lot of fat, and not that many carbs.
I usually eat more carbs over the weekend and less during the week, which always leaves me craving for carbs on Fridays. I really hate carb withdrawal symptoms.. Especially the restless feeling it gives me. But this time I've been consuming some more fat and protein than usual and it seems to be a little easier now. That's why I'm not going to give in this weekend, and I already know I'll feel much better on Monday.


I've also decided to start my Whole 30 soon. I've seen many people do it online and I think it'll be a really good thing for me to do before going to the USA in August. I wonder how I'll feel afterwards!
I'm probably going to start next week, right after my birthday. I can't think of a better way to start my life as a 24-year-old.


Yesterday I made this spinach dish, which tasted really good. I even took the leftovers with me to work, together with some diced pumpkin and beef, and a slice of fritatta. Still tasted good when cooled.
Just in case you can't get your hands on any creamed coconut; you could also use coconut milk for this dish, however, it will take a long time of simmering before your spinach mixture has thickened. The best substitute for creamed coconut is to buy a can of good quality coconut milk, put it in the fridge overnight and scoop the thick cream off the top of the milk. Use the cream in this dish, it'll make a huge difference.



Creamy spinach (serves 2)
- 450g frozen spinach
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup creamed coconut


1. Heat the spinach in a saucepan over medium heat until completely defrosted.
2. Stir in the onion, spices and creamed coconut and add a splash of water.
3. Keep stirring until the creamed coconut has dissolved completely and the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Add some more water if necessary, or simmer for a little while when the mixture is too watery.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment