Pages

June 14, 2011

Five spice chicken with Chinese spinach

Five spice chicken with Chinese spinach

Just did another attempt at my 300 workout (same one as last week) tonight. Although it was harder this time, because the weights I used for most exercises were heavier. Because of that, it took me 45 minutes to complete the workout, instead of just 30 last week. Doesn't matter though because it felt great being able to do it! I'll probably get easier over time.
Afterwards I ate a small bowl of creamed coconut, with some cocoa, yum! Great recovery food..
I called my parents tonight as well (we usually use Skype) and my dad was showing me his piece of these Chocolate Almond Joy Bars from Elana's Pantry, it looked so good.. I wish they could just send me one. My mom has turned trying all of Elana's recipes (mostly her recipes for baked goods) into a habit and she does a whole lot of baking, giving her own twists and turns to each recipe and they usually work out very well.
So I mentioned that Elana had posted a new recipe for Espresso Fudge Brownies today, and my mom's answer was: 'oh, I'm going to have to try those tomorrow!'. And I totally get it; those brownies do look really good.
At the moment I feel better while I'm eating hardly any nuts, but if I'd have them at home, I'd surely add them to just about everything because they're so good. Let alone when you bake with them. I still have a bag of almond flour in my pantry, but that's going to be used for special occasions only.



Yesterday I cycled to the market, huge grocery bag on hand to transport all my veggies and meat in, turns out the market wasn't there because it was a national holiday.. The local newspapers said there would be a market, so I figured they'd sell veggies too, but they only sold useless stuff.. Too bad!
I did end up going to the Asian supermarket and bought myself some greens I didn't know yet. I googled it and it turns out it's Chinese spinach, or Po Choi. Anyhow, it tasted good! I combined it with some leftover roast chicken and turned it into a quick dinner.



Five spice chicken with Chinese spinach (serves 1)
- 4 cups Chinese spinach (Po Choi), chopped, stems and leaves separated
- 180g cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp creamed coconut
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil


1. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the spinach stems for a few minutes until they start getting soft.
2. Add chicken, creamed coconut, five spice and ginger, and fry for about a minute.
3. Add the spinach leaves and fry until wilted and the creamed coconut has dissolved completely. It will soak up a lot of the liquids from the spinach.
4. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and serve hot. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment