Pages

June 3, 2011

Cajun mackerel

Cajun mackerel 1

I took the mackerel I bought at the market last week from the freezer because I felt like yesterday was the perfect day to prepare it. It was a national holiday, I got the day off, so plenty of time to do some cooking.
All in all my whole meal was done in under 30 minutes but I guess it felt like it would take more time when I was making up ideas on how to cook it. (I probably spent over 30 minutes on that..)


I served my mackerel with a fried egg (with runny yolk, yum), and a simple cucumber-tomato salad; 1 tomato, a piece of cucumber (both chopped up), some olive oil, lemon pepper, fresh thyme and basil.
Afterwards I wasn't that full yet so I had some lemon avocado mousse for dessert.



Cajun mackerel 2

So it's weekend again, and I'm going to enjoy it! It's only a short weekend this time, due to an internship I'm having on Monday. I'm thinking about going for a run tomorrow morning, then I'm heading to the train to see my parents (we're going to have a BBQ!!) and in the afternoon we're going to the beach and walk through the dunes. It's been such a long time since I've been to the beach and dunes, so I can't wait to go!
I'm spending the night at my parents and will be back home on Sunday.



Cajun mackerel (serves 2)
- 1 mackerel, approx. 300g, head cut off and cleaned
- 1 tbsp Cajun spices (I used Fiddes Payne brand)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil


1. Make 3 incisions in the mackerel on each side, along the bones.
2. Stuff the incisions and the cavity of the mackerel with Cajun spices, rub any leftover spices over the fish.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the mackerel over medium heat for approx. 6 minutes on each side, until done. The skin will get nice and crispy this way.
4. Put the fish on a cutting board and take the top fillet off the bones, transfer to another plate. Take out the bones and your second fillet is ready.
5. Serve the fish with veggies of your choice, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment