Last Friday the avocados were on sale again in my local supermarket, so it was time to make one of my favourite avocado dishes: lemon avocado mousse.
This mousse is quite versatile, you can have it for breakfast, dessert or even as a snack when you're hungry.
I mostly have it for breakfast though!
Lemon avocado mousse: (serves 2)
- 2 lemons
- 2 big avocados
- 1 large banana
- 25g creamed coconut (from a 200g block, also called 'Santen')
1. Zest one of the lemons and put this away in the fridge.
2. Peel the lemons and remove the thin, white layers the cover the flesh (these are bitter) and seeds. You only want to use the actual lemon flesh. Put the flesh in a blender.
3. Slice the avocados in half, remove pits and scoop the flesh out. Add to blender.
4. Peel and slice the banana and add to blender too, along with the creamed coconut.
5. Pulse a few times until everything's combined, then put the blender on high speed for about 1 minute so you end up with a thick, creamy mousse.
6. Divide over 2 bowls and put in the fridge for a couple of hours. Serve with lemon zest.
As you see, it's an easy recipe, but the hard part is removing those thin white layers to get out the lemon flesh. It takes time, and I usually end up getting lemon juice squirted into my eyes a couple of times, but it's all worth it. (perhaps I should try wearing my old swimming goggles next time..)