Pages

November 18, 2010

Pumpkin chicken curry

Pumpkin chicken curry

My second meal made with my Asian groceries was a success today! I had never prepared okra before, but it turned out really well. The best thing is that I had some of this curry left over, so I can have it again tomorrow.
I really should take a course on how to photograph food so that it looks tasty. I'd never thought this would be a form of art in itself.

Tomorrow I'm going to my parents' home to spend the weekend over there, and my mom and me have already decided to try out some new recipes. We're even planning to make some kind of brunch or afternoon tea together, and it'll be mostly Paleo!
I'm definitely going to take some pictures. (if it works out, of course)


Here's my curry recipe:

Pumpkin Chicken Curry (serves 2)
- 300g organic chicken fillet
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut, cut into small pieces (about 1x1x1 cm)
- 200g okras, cut into approx. 2 cm pieces
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk (or 1 can)
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and heat the oil in a wok or frying pan.
2. Stir-fry the chicken until brown and add the onion, fenugreek seeds and ginger. Stir-fry until the onion starts to brown slightly.
3. Add the okra and butternut, stir-fry for a few minutes, then add the curry powder, cumin and coconut milk. Keep stirring for a minute or so, until well combined.
4. Reduce heat to low, cover the wok and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
5. Divide over two deep plates or bowls and serve with fresh coriander leaves on top.

If you want, you can also serve it with some dry roasted cashew nuts on top. But since I wasn't even able to finish the portion I made for myself, I was glad I hadn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment