Pages

November 9, 2010

Zucchini fritters & roasted butternut

Zucchini fritters

Since yesterday, an annoying headache has been bugging me, which drastically decreased my appetite. I was hoping it would be gone today, but unfortunately, as soon as I opened my eyes I noticed it was still there. By now it isn't that bad anymore, but food still doesn't taste that good. Therefore I made myself an easy lunch; zucchini fritters with roasted butternut.
Normally, I have these fritters for breakfast, along with some fruit, but you can have these with any meal of course.

Zucchini fritters: (serves 1)
- 1/2 zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs (preferably with dried red onion and garlic)
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot
- some lemon pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
Optional: 1 1/2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped

1. Grate the zucchini (using a medium grater) and put into a bowl.
2. Add the other ingrediĆ«nts, except for the oil and stir until well combined.
3. Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and put in a heaping tablespoon of the zucchini mixture, add 2 more heaping tablespoons, leaving about an inch in between the fritters.
4. Reduce heat to medium and turn fritters after a few minutes.
5. After approx. 2 minutes, check if both sides have nicely browned, and transfer the fritters to a plate.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the remaining mixture. Makes 6 fritters.

I think these would be good with some home made tomato salsa, I'm definitely going to try that sometime. However I need to come up with a recipe for that first..
Just in case you would like to serve these with roasted butternut as well, this is really easy; preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Take the skin off a butternut, using a peeler. Cut it in half twice, lengthwise. For 1 person, you will need about 1 of these pieces.
Remove the seeds, cut the butternut into fries and put them on the baking tray. Drizzle with some olive oil and dust with the spices of your choice (paprika, pepper, chilli powder, oregano, whatever you like). Make sure the pieces are coated with the spices and oil, using your hands. (it does make your hands messy, but this is the easiest and quickest way)
Put the tray into the oven and bake approx. 25 minutes until soft.
If you don't have a butternut, you can use any kind of pumpkin instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment