Pages

November 29, 2010

Daikon fritters

Daikon fritters

First up, the daikon radish!
I actually called my mom for some recipe ideas and she gave me the advice to eat the daikon first because it would lose firmness pretty quickly the longer I kept it in my fridge.
The first thing that came to my mind was making a salad out of it, so I googled for some recipes with daikon and it seemed like you could make some good fritters out of it. I love fritters! Normally I make them with zucchini, but this was worth the try.
They were pretty easy to make and I ended up using only half of my daikon, so I can try making something else with it tomorrow. (or maybe I'll just put it in the salad I'm going to have for lunch at work)
The fritters didn't quite taste like the raw stuff, they were a little less bitter, which is much better to me. So all in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

Daikon fritters (serves 1, or 2 as a side dish)
- approx. 15 cm of daikon
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- pepper to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying

1. Grate the daikon and add the shallot, eggs, almond flour, arrowroot, sesame seeds, coriander, ginger and pepper.
2. Stir well, until a thick mixture forms.
3. Heat some oil in a frying pan and drop in a big, heaping tablespoon of the daikon mixture.
4. Reduce heat to medium, and flip the fritter when it starts to brown on the sides. (approx. 3 minutes)
5. Fry for another 2-3 minutes on the other side, until browned, and transfer to a plate.
6. Repeat with the rest of the daikon mixture. Of course you can always fry multiple fritters at the same time, depending on the size of your frying pan.
7. Serve with a green salad, or as a side dish with a chicken or fish curry for example.

Now all I need to do is find out what to do with the other half of my daikon..

No comments:

Post a Comment