Pages

June 2, 2011

Moroccan spiced burgers

Moroccan burgers

These days I really love burgers! You can add so many different spices to them, and they'll taste good no matter what. This time I added some Moroccan spices and chopped dried apricots, which gave them a sweet twist.
I served them with some curried roasted cauliflower, which had become nice and crisp in my oven. Many paleo/primal blogs I follow have covered the 'lettuce wrapped burger' more than once, and I figured it was a shame I hadn't tried those yet. So as you can see in the picture, I served these on some lettuce leaves, and wrapped them in it when I was going to eat them. I loved it! It was quite a mess though.. Of course all kinds of fluids dripped everywhere, but it all ended up ok (no stains that couldn't be removed) and I enjoyed my meal.
Next time I'm going to make sure my lettuce is actually dry before wrapping it around a burger.


Last Tuesday at the gym, this boy came in, looked around and said his thoughts out loud: 'Hey, all kinds of people come here! Soccer players, ice hockey players, cops, and even women..' As if women are a whole different type of people! Ok, maybe we are, but not when you put it like this. The funniest thing was that he was actually being serious :-P



Moroccan spiced burgers (serves 3)
- 450g ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp ras al hanout
- 6 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil


1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients except for the coconut oil and mix well using your hands. Just knead everything together.
2. When well-combined, divide the mixture into 6 equal pieces, roll these into balls and flatten them to make burgers.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers over medium heat until browned on one side; approx. 3-4 minutes.
4. Flip the burgers over and reduce heat to low. Fry for another 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your burgers, until done.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Funny comment from the boy who came into the gym.

    I'm going to try this burger recipie. It looks easy enough and picture of the food looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of that burger. I have been doing greek burgers with chopped greek peppers and black olives and lots of garlic too. Gonna have to make your Moroccan burgers soon!

    I'm enjoying your blog.. just started transitioning to Paleo/Primal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments :) let me know how the burgers work out for the both of you! They really are quite easy to prepare.

    Those Greek burgers sound very nice too, I might have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete