Pages

June 21, 2011

Whole 30 - Day 3

Day 3! Since I was going to spend most of my day studying once again, I decided I'd add in a workout as well, just to refresh my brain.
I had emailed a CrossFit trainer from the Netherlands to ask if I could join them for a workout sometime, to see what it was like. He wanted to know what I was capable of, my fitness level and he also asked my time for Fran.
Fran? Yes, Fran.. A CrossFit workout, consisting of: 21-15-9 reps of thrusters and pull-ups.


Of course I had to give Fran a try today.. (after doing lots of pull-ups over the last couple of days, yes I'm already making excuses..) My trainer looked up Fran online while I was doing my warm-up and asked me: "Are you SURE you want to do this?"
Yes, I was sure.. How else was I ever going to become a crossfitter??


I did my thrusters with a 15kg barbell, which wasn't too hard to be honest. I think I can do it with 20kg next time, when my muscles have had a day of rest before.
Then on to the pull-ups.. I was kind of proud I could do 21 in 3 sets, of course with help of my trusted rubber band.
Then muscle soreness set in and the next 2 sets of pull-ups were hard.. Although I made it!
Due to the amount of rest I took in between pull-ups and the fact that switching between pull-ups and thrusters didn't exactly go smoothly (ball rolling from underneath my ass, in need of a step-up because I couldn't reach the pull-up bars.. etc) I was slow. I'm embarrassed to put it up here, but my time was 9.17. Slooowww..
Well-trained crossfitters do Fran 3 times in the same amount of time!
Check out this video:


That's awesome, right?
Anyhow, I am going to give Fran another try soon, and I'm determined to do it much faster then. At least I now know what it's like.. The fact that the guy who did his pull-ups after I was done needed the same rubber band and did much less reps before being in need to sit down for a while did make me feel a little better, although I'm still ashamed of my result and felt out of shape..
For now, I don't like Fran all that much, but I'm going to keep practicing my pull-ups and will do better next time. One problem still stands though; how am I ever going to explain this to that guy who asked me for my time in the first place?

First things first though, and that's more studying which I should be doing now.. Those exams will be up tomorrow and I'm glad they are because I'm pretty much done with it. Why is it that as soon as you get the feeling that you have to do something, you don't want to do it anymore?



Here's what my 3rd day looked like, foodwise:


Whole 30 day 3 - 1
Breakfast:
Beef stew, 1 egg scramble with shii-take, broccoli stems and chives, and some leftover roasted broccoli


Whole 30 day 3 - 2
Lunch:
Lettuce, kohlrabi, carrot and tomato salad with EVOO and lemon juice, 1 scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado and 1/2 grilled mackerel


Whole 30 day 3 - 3
Dinner:
Lemon rosemary chicken, with 1 1/2 roasted onion, 1/2 grilled zucchini with paprika and a lettuce and kohlrabi salad (with EVOO and lemon juice)


Snack:
Some coconut water and a few pieces of fresh coconut meat

No comments:

Post a Comment