Pages

February 9, 2011

Roast beets, and more yummy things

Roast beets and smoked mackerel

We've had another beautiful, sunny day today. Feels like Spring is finally arriving! I really enjoy days like these.
I also got some good news; my practical assignments have been approved of so that means I can start with my 2nd year of my study to become a respiratory technologist. Yay!


Foodwise, today was a bit of a strange day. I had to attend a class on the other side of the country, which meant I had to leave home before 11 am, I wasn't back home until 7 pm. The class itself lasted only 1h and 45 minutes by the way..


Beetroots



At least I had a quite relaxing start of the day. After my breakfast of leftover sprouts and sausages, I watched 2 episodes of House (love it!), did the dishes and made my lunch. I still had beets in my fridge, and grating them last time for my omega beet salad or beet and apple walnut salad wasn't something I enjoyed doing. I like beets, but not when they splatter their juice all over me..
Maybe I can roast them, I thought, and after some googling, I found out this was a terribly easy thing to do. (see recipe below)
It took just a couple of minutes to prepare the beets, then an hour of oven time (in the mean time you can do lots of other things, watching House for example). Because I used small, fresh beets, I didn't even have to peel them, because the skin is nice and thin, and edible. How convenient. I also had another piece of the mackerel I told about earlier, added some fresh coriander, et voilĂ , a tasty salad.
I already ate it at 10.15am, because I was already hungry (apparently those sprouts didn't fill me up), and afterwards I also had some very yummy lemon avocado mousse that I made yesterday. This time I added some dates and extra creamed coconut, for extra firmness and tastyness, which was my mom's idea. And using avocado's that aren't too ripe yet but just start to get soft, makes it even better too.
I didn't get hungry again until 4.30pm, which is when I ate my dinner while on the train. Some cold, stir-fried salmon and cabbage, leftover from Monday. I took it with me in my supercool children's cooler lunch bag (green, and foldable!) that I bought at Whole Foods Market in the USA a few years ago. I did get some awkward stares from people around me, but I didn't actually care, because I was hungry so I ate, and I wasn't wolfing down a hamburger or candy like most people do when hungry, which they should be ashamed of instead of giving me stares.
I can't remember where, but during my search to find out how to roast beets, I ran into a recipe to puree roast beets and use them to make a chocolate cake. What a wonderful idea!
Hopefully I'll get my hands on some more beets soon, so I can try it out.

Roast beets (serves 2)
- 500g beets
- 2 tbsp olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Scrub the beets clean in water, pat them dry and chop off the tops and ends.
3. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and put the beets on there in 1 layer, don't stack them.
4. Sprinkle with olive oil, and fold the aluminium foil over the beets to make a tightly closed package. (you could also put another sheet of foil on top)
5. Bake for at least 1 hour, depending on the size of your beets. Check for doneness by sliding a knife into the largest beet, if it goes in easily, they're done.
6. Let them cool for a while, until you can handle them without burning your hands, and peel off the skin. This should be quite easy to do. If you used fresh beets you don't have to peel them, because their skin is edible.

Serve with some black pepper on top and fresh parsley or coriander. You can also chop them up and add some onion to make a tasty salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment