Pages

February 20, 2011

Sausage garlic mash

Sausage garlic mash 2

I just read this very interesting (and funny) article about grain consumption over on Mark's Daily Apple. It's called 'Will eating whole grains help you live longer?' and it's spot-on. If you're interested in the subject, I can definitely recommend it!

Today's workout was great! Just as I hoped.
It wasn't as tough as last Tuesday, but that's because it was mostly about muscle endurance. I did a lot of squats in all sorts of ways and I trained my butt and my abs. It took about an hour in total.
Starting next week I'll have 3 different workouts every time: 1 tough, challenging one that involves strength and sprinting, 1 that's a little easier and 1 that's about muscle endurance. Everytime I get home after a workout I feel so much better! Not just physically, but I'm much happier and more positive overall too.

This afternoon I went for a 20-minute run, because I still felt like doing something active and the weird thing was that it took me more effort than an hour at the gym. I did sign up for a 5km race in May, which I look forward to, so I'm going to keep running a few times a week. It had been a while since my last run, so it'll get easier soon.

I wasn't really planning on making a new recipe tonight, but my dinner turned out pretty good, so I'm going to share the recipe with you!
It's an easy mash, and so tasty! The garlic adds a whole lot of flavour (and health benefits, of course) and to me, it was like the ultimate comfort food. (not that I needed that, but still) I'm definitely going to make this again!

Sausage garlic mash

Sausage garlic mash (serves 2)
- 1/2 celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 300g beef sausage (or any other sausage of your choice)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 250g frozen spinach
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 tsp cajun spice mix
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Boil some water in a steamer. Chop the tops and bottoms off the garlic cloves and remove the thin outer layer. Steam the celeriac cubes with the garlic for approx. 10 minutes, until fork tender.
2. Puree the celeriac and garlic with a hand blender and stir in the thyme.
3. Chop the sausages into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
4. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or frying pan and  fry the sausage pieces with the chopped onion until the sausages are browned.
5. Add frozen spinach, fry until almost defrosted, then add shredded cabbage and cajun spice mix.
6. Fry until the cabbage has wilted, then stir in the celeriac puree and mix well.
7. Serve hot, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment