Pages

February 26, 2011

Banana nut ice-cream

Banana nut ice-cream

Today I've started stocking up on lots of meat, fish, poultry and eggs, and I'm trying to get rid of most of the fruit I have left.
I even cleaned my freezer! I just took my blowdryer and the whole thing was emptied, cleaned and filled back up again in under 20 minutes. Without water damage ;)
Seems like my diet and working out are making things like household chores much easier to get started with too. I used to put them off as often as I could, but now it hardly takes me any effort anymore.

At the supermarket I found myself some nice sustainably caught smoked mackerel, steak tartar, chipolata sausages (my favourites), chicken, turkey and some stewing meat. (all organic)
I used to have my doubts about egg consumption, as Loren Cordain clearly states in his book (The Paleo Diet) that you shouldn't eat more than 6 eggs a week. But I got some tips, did some reading and turns out eggs are really healthy and you can eat lots of them. To make them even healthier, it's best to buy omega-3 enriched eggs (to improve the omega 3/6 ratio). Turns out, my local supermarket has those eggs so I bought a dozen right away.
Apparently these eggs have a 'Happy Chicken Guarantee', and are approved by the Dutch animal protection society. So I guess that's good to know, but it still made me smile when reading it. Whoever thought a guarantee like that existed..

Anyway, there's a big beef stew on the stove right now, I figured if I were going to clean out my freezer I better use most of the stuff that's in it. I still had 750g of beef in there, waiting to be turned into a stew. So I added some onions, tomatoes, carrot and a green pepper and some spices, and all in all it makes a really tasty stew. I'm going to freeze a part of it to enjoy later on.
It's so easy, I just defrost it overnight, sautee some frozen spinach, add the beef stew and have it for breakfast. Yum!
I guess going without fruits and nuts for a while won't be so hard after all!

Apple crisp 2    Apple crisp 1

Of course I couldn't bear saying my 'goodbyes' to fruit and nuts without enjoying them for the last time..
I made myself a wonderful apple crisp, following Jen's recipe, and it was very, very good! (and yes, I ate the whole bowl at once.. soo tasty..)

And I also made some banana nut ice-cream to enjoy this evening! Yum!

Banana nut ice-cream (serves 2)
- 2 bananas
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup almond butter (saltless)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into your ice-cream maker and follow the instructions.
Or: pour the mixture into a fridge container, close it with a lid and put it in the freezer. Stir your ice-cream well every 30 to 45 minutes, to prevent ice-crystals from forming. In total this will take about 5 hours until it's reached your desired consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...Beef stew for dinner, followed by banana nut ice cream and apple crisp for dessert. Why do I think I would gain weight if I ate like this???

    I had been thinking about asking you about making a good crust for an apple pie, and came across this post.

    I love apple pie with whipped cream, but have never made a crust without the usual flour. Do you have an idea for an almond meal crust?

    I finally went up snowshoeing today, but the snow was so deep I sank 1/2 meter with each step, and I only made it half-way up the mountain. It was a bit depressing to turn back, but I figure I will live to try again some other time. It was still a very good 2-hour workout.

    Still thinking about making the "black and white cake" from Elana's Pantry...perhaps tomorrow after I get back from the farmer's market.

    I looked into getting celeriac (to make your fries) at Whole Foods, and it was $4 a pound! At that price I can almost buy grass-fed beef...

    Have a great Sunday!

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you definitely gain weight by eating all of that.. That's why I'm skipping breakfast today, I'm simply not hungry. The whole meal was really good though ;)
    I'll send you an email with a pie crust recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete