Pages

February 14, 2011

Beef stew and celeriac fries

Beef stew and celeriac fries

It's Monday, so that means it's market day again! And I found myself lots of tasty looking veggies again. (turnips, parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, leeks, onions, and much more) I also bought 2 coconuts, partially because I loved the taste, and partially because I loved the cracking process!
Yesterday I enjoyed the fresh coconut water with my breakfast, it tasted even better after it had been in the fridge overnight. I grated the coconut meat in my magimix and put most of it in my freezer. I'm sure I'll be able to use it for a pie or ice-cream sometime.

My parents visited me today, and brought me a whole lot of organic beef and chicken to fill up my freezer. Yum!
I also made them dinner; a beef stew and celeriac fries. I'd already made the stew yesterday, so it would taste even better today and because I only had to reheat it; much easier when you have visitors.

Yesterday Sarah, from Everyday Paleo, posted this recipe for Chicken Dive-In and it looked so delicious! So I boiled some chicken, chopped up broccoli and started making it. I sprinkled mine with a mixture of almond flour and grated coconut instead of almond flakes (because I didn't have any) but it looks great. I'll be having it for breakfast tomorrow, can't wait!

Beef stew (serves 4)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large winter carrot, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 600g diced beef
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp five spice powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet and fry garlic and onions until soft.
2. Add chopped pepper and carrot and fry for a few minutes.
3. Add beef and almond flour, and stir well. Then add the tomatoes and spices and about 1/2 cup of water.
4. Stir well and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2.5 hours until the meat is very tender.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

Celeriac fries (serves 4)
- 1 celeriac
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh (or dried) rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Peel the celeriac and cut it into fries (approx. 1 cm thick).
3. Divide the celeriac over the prepared baking trays and sprinkle with olive oil and rosemary. Mix with your hands until the fries are mostly covered in some oil.
4. Bake for approx. 40-45 minutes, until they're starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment