Pages

February 12, 2011

Parsnip pie

Parsnip pie 1

What a pity.. I had a lot of parsnips in my fridge, waiting to be used. So I just had to bake something!
I made this delicious parsnip pie. Not the most common way to use them, but certainly a good way. Since parsnips are quite starchy, just like pumpkins, I figured if I could make a pumpkin pie, then why not a parsnip pie!
It's not as heavy as a pumpkin pie or cheesecake, but the taste is wonderful. It's mostly creamy goodness with a hint of parsnip flavour.
I served mine with some coconut cream on top, which made it even better. But a chocolate frosting would be wonderful as well.

Yesterday I calculated what it would cost me to go to Australia and to the USA. The USA is slightly cheaper, and more luxurious too because I'll be driving around in a car (and staying in hotels) instead of a camper, plus I have more time to explore because it takes less time to get there. After all, going to Australia requires stop-overs and it would be a shame if I didn't spend some time in Asia while I'm there as well. (just a few days in Singapore or Hong Kong)
Plus, in Australia I'd be driving approx. 2500km in 14 days and in the USA I'd drive up to 4500km in 19 days.
If I were to go to the USA, I'd go in August, but when going to Aussie I'd go in November, becuase of the weather. This year, I can't get August off from work anymore, so November is best. But then again, it's more expensive. What a dilemma.. I just want to take 2 months off and make both trips..

Parsnip pie 3      Parsnip pie 2

Parsnip pie
Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
Filling:
- 550g parsnip puree (approx. 5-6 small parsnips)
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 5 large dates, pitted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cookie spices (or a mix of nutmeg, ginger and cloves)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius, and line a tart pan or spring form with parchment paper, or grease it with some vegetable oil.
2. In a bowl, mix the crust ingredients and spread it out over the bottom of the prepared tin. Press down with the back of a spoon to form a nice base.
3. Bake for 12-14 minutes until starting to get brown.
In the mean time, prepare your filling.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a food processor and process until smooth. Taste the filling first to make sure it's sweet enough for your taste.
5. Pour the filling into the baked crust and bake for another 45-50 minutes until set.
6. Let cool for at least an hour and serve just like that, or with a topping of your choice. Enjoy!

If you don't think apples are going to make this pie sweet enough to your taste, just add 2 ripe bananas instead and it will work out just fine. (and perhaps some chocolate frosting too? yum..)
I simply chose apples because of the freshness it adds to the parsnips, I like the combination. Maybe I'll try making this with bananas next time and see what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment