Pages

February 25, 2011

Spicy almond beef burgers and roasted broccoli

Spicy almond beef burgers 1

Had another cool workout yesterday, they let me do an exercise called 'rope battle', which I think is really hard.. Not hard to do, but it takes a lot of effort from your arm muscles. I like it though! At one point my trainer asked what my heart rate was, so I measured it; 132 bpm. And he was like 'that's only average, let's do another set and go all-out!'. I'd never heard a trainer say that in a gym, and it was just what I wanted to hear!
I also had to push a prowler to the other side of the gym a few times, at max speed. That surely got my heart rate up ;) Anyway, it was really cool again, and I had lots of energy afterwards and even today my energy levels seem to be higher than usual. And I'm not that sore at all!
Next workout will be on Sunday! I'll have my own schedule by then, so I can do a workout without making an appointment first.

Starting on Monday, I'm going to reduce my fruit and nut intake for 2 weeks and see how I feel. I think I'm overconsuming nuts, because I often feel a dip in my energy levels after eating them. And I also want to find out how my body reacts to a diet that's lower in carbs, so I'm leaving fruit out for 2 weeks as well. (I might still have very small amount every once in a while of course, but not as much as I do now) My energy levels still fluctuate after eating fruit and every time I eat something that's just slightly sweeter than usual, I start craving for more. (and more..)
By making my diet this strict for a little while I'm hoping to get rid of the cravings, get my blood sugar balanced out and have stable energy levels throughout the day. I don't know how I'll react to this, but I guess I'll soon find out! I'd better start stocking my fridge (and freezer) with lots of meat, chicken, fish and eggs this weekend to keep myself from going hungry for the next 2 weeks without fruit or nuts.
I still need to finish the fruit I have left this weekend, but I've already found a great apple crumble recipe which will be great for using my apples, and I might turn the bananas into ice-cream. I'm not sure yet..

Dinner today consisted of beef burgers and yummy oven roasted broccoli, the broccoli was easy; I just mixed it with some olive oil, put it on a baking tray (with parchment paper) and baked it for approx. 20 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius. In the mean time I could easily prepare and bake my beef burgers.

Spicy almond beef burgers 2

Spicy almond beef burgers (serves 2)
- 250g lean ground beef
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 spicy chili pepper, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almond slivers
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients with a fork except for the almond flour and coconut oil.
2. Shape the mixture into 8 small burgers.
3. Put the almond flour on a plate and drop the burgers into it, covering them with the flour.
4. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for approx. 8-10 minutes until done. Flip regularly to prevent them from burning.
5. Serve hot with veggies of your choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment