February 7, 2011
Asian mackerel and cabbage salad
Today I found some wonderful organic, smoked pepper mackerel fillet at my local supermarket. It wasn't all that expensive (about the same price as canned mackerel) and it had been a while since I had good mackerel, so I figured I should make a nice dish with it today.
I came up with an Asian salad, which I just had for lunch, and loved it. I'm sure it'll keep me full all afternoon.
I also went to the market today (it's Monday after all) and got myself a beautiful Romanesco broccoli (or Roman cauliflower), a huge bag of parsnips and many more tasty veggies. The only problem is that it hardly fits into my fridge.. Not that my fridge is that small, I just bought slightly too much I'm afraid. I guess I'll be doing a lot of cooking today!
The weather is beautiful today and since my energy levels are rising again (yay!) I think I'm going out for a run too.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to use romanesco?
Asian mackerel and cabbage salad (serves 1)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup grated cucumber
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet (about 80-100g), in strips
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp extra vierge olive oil
1. Combine cabbage, carrot and cucumber in a deep plate or bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lemon juice, ginger and olive oil to make a dressing.
3. Pour the dressing over the veggies and sprinkle with sesame seeds, mix well.
4. Top the salad with the mackerel strips, coriander leaves and almonds, and serve right away. Enjoy!