Pages

February 7, 2011

Asian mackerel and cabbage salad

Asian mackerel and cabbage salad

Today I found some wonderful organic, smoked pepper mackerel fillet at my local supermarket. It wasn't all that expensive (about the same price as canned mackerel) and it had been a while since I had good mackerel, so I figured I should make a nice dish with it today.
I came up with an Asian salad, which I just had for lunch, and loved it. I'm sure it'll keep me full all afternoon.


I also went to the market today (it's Monday after all) and got myself a beautiful Romanesco broccoli (or Roman cauliflower), a huge bag of parsnips and many more tasty veggies. The only problem is that it hardly fits into my fridge.. Not that my fridge is that small, I just bought slightly too much I'm afraid. I guess I'll be doing a lot of cooking today!
The weather is beautiful today and since my energy levels are rising again (yay!) I think I'm going out for a run too.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to use romanesco?

Asian mackerel and cabbage salad (serves 1)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup grated cucumber
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet (about 80-100g), in strips
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp extra vierge olive oil

1. Combine cabbage, carrot and cucumber in a deep plate or bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lemon juice, ginger and olive oil to make a dressing.
3. Pour the dressing over the veggies and sprinkle with sesame seeds, mix well.
4. Top the salad with the mackerel strips, coriander leaves and almonds, and serve right away. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment