Pages

February 2, 2011

Cranberry kale stew

Cranberry kale stew

The recipe below is what I had for breakfast today. I've been having different kinds of beef stew for breakfast for 3 days now and I love it. It fills me up pretty well and keeps me going for quite a long time.
I decided to use the cranberry sauce I still had in my freezer from Christmas time and it combined really well. Cranberries are really healthy, especially for your bladder, and they don't contain much carbs at all. And they make a tasty combination with beef and kale too!
I'm aware that this dish doesn't look tasty at all, but just give it a try, it certainly tastes good!


These days I've been trying to make fruit a part of my main meals instead of snacking on it and it seems to keep my blood sugar in order. My weight is already starting to go down and I think I can keep up eating this way. I love it.
So I've been to my therapist on Monday, when I arrived at my parents home I had a piece of my mom's homemade Paleo chocolate chestnut pie, with awesome frosting by Kelly from the Spunky Coconut. Yum! She'd promised she'd save some for me, so I couldn't refuse and I'm glad I haven't.
My therapist came to the conclusion that my thyroid gland is working too slow again, I've had that before and it's certainly something that makes me feel depressed. I also was short on dopamine, a neurotransmitter that's absolutely necessary to feel happy. Dopamine is also found in chocolate, so she suggested not to stop eating chocolate just yet. (I wasn't planning to quit altogether, just wanted to reduce my intake)
I also had my hay fever again, all those pollen are making me very tired. I have had a little shortness of breath over the last couple of weeks, but didn't realize this was the cause. And I was oversensitve to histamin too.
To complete all of that, I have a vitamin B12 deficiency as well.
So I guess that explains a lot of my symptoms! I got a list of supplements to add to my diet and some drops to get me over my histamin sensitivity, so it should all start getting better pretty soon.
I'm relieved my symptoms can be explained this way, just having that knowledge makes me feel slightly better already.

Cranberry kale stew (serves 1)
- 150g leftover grilled beef, diced (I used roastbeef)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup leftover cranberry sauce
- 250g frozen kale
- black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a stew pan and sautee the onion until soft (approx. 5 minutes).
2. Add the beef, cranberry sauce and some pepper to taste, stir occasionally until hot.
3. Add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for approx. 1 hour (if you use roastbeef, otherwise it might take longer).
4. Put over higher heat, then add frozen kale and stir occasionally until there are no more frozen lumps. Bring to a boil again and simmer for another 30 minutes until most of the fluids have evaporated.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment