Pages

December 28, 2010

Broccoli and cranberry chicken

Broccoli cranberry chicken

Finally, Christmas is over and life has gone back to normal. Not that I don't like Christmas, on the contrary, but after stuffing myself for the past couple of days I feel like having simple and healthy meals again.
What I haven't shared yet, is what I got for Christmas: a Magimix 3200 food processor!! Wow!
It was a huge surprise and I'm so happy with it. I feel completely spoiled.. My parents are going to bring it over next week (I didn't want to take it on the train for obvious reasons), and I'm already thinking about the way this expands my cooking possibilities.
My mom had a whole bag of cranberries left over from Christmas, so she gave it to me. Today I made a cranberry sauce and served it over some stir-fried chicken and broccoli. Yum!

Cranberry sauce (serves 4)
- 1 bag of cranberries (340g)
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins

1. Bring water to a boil and add cranberries. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, until all cranberries have burst. Stir occasionally.
2. Add agave and raisins, stir well, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until desired thickness is achieved.

If you want you can add some more agave to make it sweeter, and I guess some cinnamon would make a nice addition too.

While the cranberry sauce is simmering, you can start making your cinnamon chicken and broccoli stir-fry.

Cinnamon chicken and broccoli stir-fry (serves 2)
- 250g chicken fillet, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cookie spices or a mixture of ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 handfull of cashew nuts

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry chicken until browned.
2. Add onion and stir-fry until browned.
3. Add broccoli, stir-fry for a few minutes, then add spices.
4. Add about 100ml of water, keep stir-frying so the chicken and vegetables get a nice glaze.
5. Stir-fry for another 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve with cashew nuts on top, and add a few big tablespoons of cranberry sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment