Pages

December 6, 2010

Samosas and walnuts

Samosa and salad

Here's what I made, together with my mom last Saturday. We've already had this idea for a while, but haven't had the opportunity to actually do it before.
We made Samosas! Of course they're grain fee and dairy free.

My mom had made a delicious Moroccan oven dish for lunch on Saturday, with mince beef, dried apricots, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, ras el hanout and more. We had some leftovers, and since we'd already had the idea to make samosas sometime, we thought this would make a great filling.

For the dough, we used this recipe for biscuits from Elana's Pantry. We'd already made the biscuits once, loved the dough and recipes kept popping up into our heads.
Our samosas turned out pretty big, one batch of dough made 6 samosas. But I think you could easily make 8 smaller ones out of it.

We simply rolled out balls of dough with our hands on a piece of parchment paper, put about 2 tablespoons of filling on it, folded them in half and pressed the edges onto eachother. Super easy!
We baked them at 175 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes, so they browned nicely.

Samosas

We served them with a salad and had them as a light meal.
I'm going to make these again, as soon as I have some leftover chicken curry as I think that would make a good filling. Spinach would be great too! I'm also going to adapt the dough recipe by then, I've already got a nice idea on how to do that.

This week, I'm having loads of veggies to cook with again. My aunt has a huge vegetable garden and she gave some of her 'harvest' to my mom and me. I got one huge kale, some leeks, carrots, kohlrabi, winter lettuce, a paprika and some beets. I love beets, but I've never cooked with them before, so I can't wait to make some delicious recipes with those.
I also got walnuts; loads of walnuts, as you can see on the picture below. I had just run out of supply, so I'm really happy with these. They make a good addition to so many recipes!
So, what I wanted to ask; does anyone have an easy way to crack these? My mom gave me a nut cracker, but I'm afraid that if I work my way through this pile I won't have any hands left. Or should I just do a few at a time, when I need them?

Walnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment