Pages

December 22, 2010

Rutabaga and beef mince stew

Rutabaga and beef mince stew

What a wonderful name for a veggie; rutabaga! Whoever made that up should get an award!
Or maybe it's just because I'm Dutch that it sounds funny to me..
Cooking with rutabaga (can't say it enough) was completely new for me. I'd only eaten it once before in my life, without actually knowing what it was. Because I wasn't able to go to the market last Monday I was browsing the supermarket for new veggies. This was the only one I'd never cooked with, so I bought it.
Because my rutabage was pretty huge, I used half of it for this stew, and I steamed and pureed the other half. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the puree yet but I guess I'll see about that tomorrow.
I know the picture of this stew isn't that clear, but just in case you were wondering; it tastes good!

Rutabaga and beef mince stew (serves 2)
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into approx. 2 x 2 cm cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, in rings
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 250g beef mince
- 1 apple, cut into cubes (discard core)
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp dried herbs (parsley, coriander, whatever you like)
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or frying pan, and stir-fry onion and garlic for a few minutes until it starts smelling good.
2. Add beef mince and fry until browned.
3. Add rutabaga, leek and apple and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add garam masala, cinnamon, pepper and dried herbs, stir well.
4. Add 1 cup of water, cover pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until rutabaga is soft and the water has evaporated.

Serve hot, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment