Pages

December 10, 2010

Warm beet salad with apple and walnuts

Beet apple walnut salad

Going out to dinner yesterday was fun; had a nice time and great food. The food was very high quality and delicious.
As an appetizer I ordered the deer carpaccio, served with a little salad, pine nuts, egg and berry sauce. I had never eaten carpaccio before, because I thought I wouldn't be into raw meat, but I really liked it. The meat was really tender and soft, and the berry sauce combined wonderfully with it.
My main course was the grilled trout, with some sea salt. I still had to remove the bones and such, which I normally don't like at all; I always end up having small fish bones in my mouth.. The fish tasted really good and in the end it wasn't that much effort at all to make it 'edible'. It was served with a salad, chicory with ham and fried potatoe chips. Because of my diet, they gave me seperate servings of these, instead of larger ones everyone could take from. I loved that, because that way I had more veggies than the others. In the end I still think we got way too little veggies, unfortunately that's the case with most restaurants in the Netherlands these days.
For dessert, they weren't able to make me anything else than a fruit salad. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but when I crave dessert I don't feel like eating fruit. Chocolate is more to my taste, especially on the rare occassions I go out to dinner. So I just ordered some tea, which was served with some dark chocolates, lucky me!

Today I decided to use the beets I got from my aunt last week. I've always liked beets, but it had been a while since I ate them, and I'd never cooked with them myself. I ended up making a warm salad out of it; warm because I wanted to eat it right away. I think it would taste good when cooled too, which I'm going to try with my leftover portion. I served it with some pan fried yellow fin sole fillets, one of my favourite kinds of fish.

Warm beet salad with apple and walnuts (serves 2)
- 4 medium sized beets
- 1 sweet apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin seeds
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- handful of chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Chop the tops and bottoms off the beets, peel them with a vegetable peeler and grate them into julienne strips.
2. Wash the apple, remove the core and chop into small pieces.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and stir-fry the beets and apple for about 3 minutes.
4. Add cinnamon, ginger and cumin, and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Then add lemon juice, stir-fry another minute or so, until the beets are nice and soft.
5. Serve with walnuts on top, and with meat or fish of your choice.

This would also make a wonderful side dish to serve during Christmas dinner. Either warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment