Pages

December 14, 2010

Parsnip apple mash, with lemony salmon stir-fry

Parsnip mash and salmon stir-fry

And here's today's dinner! I'd been thinking what to do with my parsnips; bake them in the oven (been there, done that), make fritters out of them (sounds good, but I already had fritters for breakfast) and since I'd already put them in a curry as well, I decided to mash them. With apple. I totally loved it!
It was actually meant to be my side dish, but I guess it felt more of a main course and I ended up eating it last. (I always save the best for last)
I also made a quick lemony stir-fry with salmon and savoy cabbage, also quite tasty.

Parsnip apple mash (serves 2)
- 3 parsnips
- 1 medium sweet apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon

1. Peel parsnips with a vegetable peeler, cut them into equal pieces and steam them for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
2. Chop the apple and discard the core.
3. Put apple pieces and steamed parsnips in a bowl and puree with a hand blender. Add cinnamon and stir well. Serve warm.


Lemony salmon stir-fry (serves 2)
- 2 salmon fillets, diced
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp freshly ground ginger
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- lemon pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and stir-fry onion and ginger, until the onion starts to get soft. Add salmon and stir-fry until browned.
2. Add savoy cabbage, curry powder, lemon pepper and coconut milk. Stir-fry just a minute or so until cabbage turns bright green, but isn't too soft yet.
3. Add lemon juice, stir well. Take off heat and serve sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves.

This dish would also make a good lunch, even when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment