Pages

December 12, 2010

Kohlrabi and mackerel salad

Kohlrabi mackerel salad

After my last experiments with kohlrabi, I decided to keep it simple this time. I made a salad.
When visiting my parents last week, my mom had bought me some grilled mackerel in oil; my all-time favourite fish. It's a bit expensive, so I hardly ever buy it. But last week we had made those samosa's, so there wasn't any room for the mackerel and my mom made me take it home with me.
I'd been saving it 'for the right time' in my fridge, and apparently that time is when there's not much more left in my fridge than mackerel and kohlrabi. They do, however, make a perfect combination.

Kohlrabi and mackerel salad (serves 1)
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and grated into julienne strips
- 100g of grilled mackerel fillet, drained
- small handful of raisins
- 1 tsp extra vierge olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp powdered mustard seeds
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds

1. Put kohlrabi on a large plate. Pull mackerel into smaller pieces with a fork and add to kohlrabi. Add raisins.
2. In a small bowl, mix oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, agave, mustard and pepper until well combined.
3. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well. Top with coriander and sesame seeds, and serve cold.
Enjoy!

Note: in my picture, there's no fresh coriander. I used the dried version, which was good, but fresh is always much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment