Pages

January 26, 2011

Omega beet salad

Omega beet salad

Because I didn't have a clue what I was going to eat tonight, I didn't put anything out of the freezer this morning. When I got home I still didn't know, but then I saw the beets in my fridge and figured I'd eat those. Grating them pretty much took care of a pink/purplish paintjob in my kitchen (luckily I got it off everything, except for my hands).
I also remembered having some canned fish in my pantry so that made an easy source of protein and healthy omega fats as well, the coconut oil I used also adds a little to the omega fat content of this dish.

Omega beet salad (serves 1)
- 2 beets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100g of grilled sardines or mackerel fillets, diced
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Clean the beets, remove their skin with a peeler and grate them.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and sautee the onion until soft.
3. Add the beets and sautee them for 2-3 minutes, until cooked.
4. At the last moment, add the lemon juice and grilled fish, and heat for another few minutes until hot.
5. Serve with coriander leaves on top and enjoy!

If you want to this dish to be more fruity, you can add a grated apple, that makes an excellent addition. Some chopped walnuts also makes a great add-on.
You can also serve this dish cold, for lunch for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment