Pages

January 25, 2011

Quick cauliflower and delicious spice mixes

Quick cauliflower

Yesterday I finally got the time to cycle all the way to another supermarket (in a nearby city) to get myself some new spices. I'd seen them somewhere else, but didn't think about buying them while I was there..
What I'm talking about? These amazing spice mixes from Fiddes Payne!

Fiddes Payne spices

I bought the Madras and Tikka curry spices, and the Cajun seasoning. All 3 are absolutely delicious! You can add them to pretty much anything you want.
They do contain some salt, and some even have a small amount of sugar in them, but when you add them to a dish filled with veggies and meat, that won't be a problem at all. Most curry pastes also contain salt and sugar, and vinegar too. Since I always try to avoid vinegar, these spices are great when making curries.
A quick tip: fry some ground beef and onion and add some Cajun seasoning when it's almost done. Delicious!

Anyway, of course I've got a recipe to share again too; it's tonight's dinner. A quick cauliflower stir-fry, which I served with my improved pumpkin beef burgers. I slightly changed the burger recipe by adding more coconut flour and more chopped coriander. They were a lot better now.
I roasted and pureed a large pumpkin yesterday, so I wanted to use the puree today. This morning I tried making pumpkin pancakes, which failed and I ended up making some kind of mash with cinnamon and nuts. Luckily it still tasted very good, but it looked horrible. Maybe I'll try again soon, I've got lots of pumpkin puree left.
The cauliflower recipe below is really easy to make, but you do need some good ras el hanout. If you can't find any, simply subsitute it with curry powder.

Quick cauliflower (serves 2)
- 1 head of cauliflower, in smaller florets
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or frying pan.
2. Fry the chopped onions until soft and add the cauliflower florets.
3. Stir-fry for a few minutes, add ras el hanout and 1/2 cup of water.
4. Stir-fry for another couple of minutes until the water has evaporated and the cauliflower is tender.
5. Serve with the chopped coriander on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment