January 19, 2011
Broccoli garlic chicken soup
It's been a -long- while since I last made soup. I'm not exactly a soupy kind of person, but I felt like it today. So I made broccoli chicken soup and added a lot of garlic. I liked the taste, but because I didn't add any salt it takes some getting used to.
Therefore I'd recommend trying it the way it is first, and add some salt to your taste if you want to. That will make quite the difference.
But since Paleo means not adding salt to dishes, I don't even have salt at home.. It didn't even come to my mind that this dish might need some salt!
Anyway, here's the recipe so you can judge for yourself. What do you think; salt or no salt?
Broccoli garlic chicken soup (serves 4)
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 onion
- 2 leeks
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 500g chicken fillet
- 1 tsp coconut oil
1. Bring 1.5l (6 cups) of water to a boil and add chicken fillet.
2. Boil for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
3. In the mean time, cut the broccoli and leeks into smaller pieces. Chop the onion and garlic cloves as well.
4. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and sautee the onion and garlic, until they start getting soft.
5. Add broccoli and leeks and sautee for approx. 5 minutes.
6. When the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and add the cooking water to the vegetables in the pan. Bring to a boil.
7. Boil for 10 - 15 minutes, until broccoli is soft. In the mean time, shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
8. When the vegetables are soft, puree the soup in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth.
9. Divide the soup over 4 bowls and serve with shredded chicken. Enjoy while hot!