January 11, 2011

Pumpkin beef burgers

Pumpkin beef burgers

I discovered something interesting today! At work, I had to learn the effects of physical exercise on the diffusion capacity of the lungs. Therefore I had to run for 10 minutes on the treadmill. The colleague who helped me liked making it hard, by increasing the speed and she even made me climb a hill on it! So I was a little sweaty afterwards..
Anyway, as soon as those 10 minutes were over, I ran off and tested my diffusion capacity; it was really efficient! Much better than usual.
Now the really interesting part starts: I haven't been tired all day!
Normally I feel a little worn-out after work, but today it seems as if I can do everything super efficiently. My concentration hasn't started to fail me yet and I'm bursting with energy. Wow!
So even though I always cycle to work (5km), a short run in which I reach my maximum heart rate, seems to be so much more efficient to keep me energized all day long. I wish I could do it every day!

Of course, there's a recipe too! I made these pumpkin beef burgers tonight, they were really good and easy to make. Normally hamburgers tend to get a little dry, but by using pumpkin they stayed nice and moist inside. The flavour was really good too, and I'm definitely going to make these much more often!
I served them with a quick curry made out of spring onion, carrot, parsnip and savoy cabbage.

Pumpkin beef burgers (serves 2)
- 250g steak tartare (approx. 2 pieces)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mash steak tartare with the pumpkin puree, using a fork, until you've reached a smooth consistency.
3. Add garlic, spring onions, ginger, pepper, cumin, coriander, coconut flour and coriander leaves and mix until well combined.
4. Make 8 burgers by dropping heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and flattening them.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned. Enjoy!

In my recipe I used a fork to combine everything, but you can just as well use a food processor to do the job.
Serve these burgers with a salad or stir-fried or oven roasted veggies, they go really well with pretty much everything.

2 comments:


  1. Good day! I was so impressed to see a very well-presented dishes that is absolutely tasty and delicious. You've done a great job.Well, thank you for sharing your talent and article it is very well appreciated. You can also visit my site if you have time.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating is really one of my hobby i mean part of my life and cooking is my passion.
    I also love going to a place and at the same time taste their delicious and most wanted food.
    I want to taste something that is new to my palate. Thanks for sharing your article with us.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete