Pages

January 4, 2011

Layered lunch salad

Layered lunch salad

Eating Paleo at work might be a bigger challenge to people who are new to this diet. After all, it's so easy to grab a sandwich for lunch. But when you're eating Paleo, making yourself a sandwich isn't the obvious choice anymore. Of course you could bake your own bread, out of almond paste and almond flour (Elana has some wonderful almond loaf or cracker recipes), it's expensive however, and eating too many nuts in a day isn't that good for you either. (nuts are healthy and very tasty, don't get me wrong, but you want to add them to meals, not make a meal out of them)
For lunch, I usually make myself a salad or take some cold leftovers from last night's dinner with me. Today I made this colourful salad and thought it might be a good idea to share my lunch with everyone.
The salad took me less than 10 minutes to prepare and I always take some snacks with me too; usually an apple and today I also had a 'protein bar' made out of nuts, seeds and dried fruits (dairy- and grain free). Delicious, and this gets me through the day pretty well!

Layered lunch salad (serves 1)
- 1 chicory
- 2 cm thick piece of red cabbage
- 1 winter carrot
- handful trail mix (nuts, seeds and dried fruits)
- 1 small can of grilled mackerel, drained
- 1 tbsp extra vierge olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice (lemon works fine too)
- 1 tbsp dried herbs of your choice (coriander leaves, parsley, etc)

1. Cut chicory in quarters, discard the hard inner part, and chop the leaves. Put in a plastic container with lid or lunch box.
2. Chop red cabbage and winter carrot. Add to container.
3. Add dried herbs, trail mix and mackerel.
4. Combine olive oil and lime juice in a small bowl and sprinkle over the salad.
5. Cool until lunchtime, give the container a good shake until everything's combined (or just mix it with a fork, shaking might make you look a little weird) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment