Pages

January 4, 2011

Curried tilapia with celeriac puree and broccoli

Celeriac puree, curry tilapia and broccoli

Here's what I had for dinner tonight. I thought I'd cooked with most root vegetables by now, until I went to the supermarket and saw celeriac!
Somehow, this veggie scares me a little. It looks macabre, with all those 'tentacles' on the bottom. Cutting them off felt like slaughtering some kind of monster! It looks like it used to be able to walk (or swim..) and as if it's asleep or something like that.
It's just my fantasy messing with my mind, because this veggie tastes pretty good. (and it didn't move, nor bleed)

Today was my first time cooking with it. I combined it with curry tilapia (from the oven) and a broccoli stir-fry.
All I need to do now is figure out what to do with my leftover celeriac puree. Maybe I can make cookies out of it too? I'm not sure yet..

Curried tilapia (serves 2)
- 2 tilapia fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp curry powder

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Put the tilapia fillets in an oven dish (don't let them overlap), add the other ingredients and massage them in with your hands. Make sure the fillets are fully covered with curry.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fillets) until cooked.

In the mean time prepare your celeriac puree. I decided not to add any spices to the puree because it has a strong flavour in itself and you should combine it with the curried fish and broccoli.

Celeriac puree (serves 2)
1. Peel 1/2 of a celeriac and cut it into small cubes.
2. Boil some water in a steamer and steam the celeriac cubes for approx. 7-8 minutes, until fork tender.
3. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.

While the celeriac is steaming, you can start on your broccoli stir-fry.

Broccoli stir-fry (serves 2)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry onion, garlic and ginger until the onion starts getting soft.
2. Add broccoli, stir-fry for a minute and add approx. 100ml water. Keep stir-frying.
3. Add raisins and spices and stir-fry until the broccoli is tender.

By now, your fish should be done and the celeriac pureed.
Divide everything over 2 plates and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment