Pages

January 30, 2011

Tilapia stir-fry with prunes

Tilapia stirfry with prunes

Here's an easy recipe, it looks a little like my Chicken and parsnip stir-fry but I used different spices. Both versions are different, but taste equally well.
I've been doing a lot of reading about Paleo and primal diets this morning and I've learnt a lot. I figured out what I'm doing wrong so far: I haven't only gained weight, I've also gained a carb addiction, again..
So I should eat less carbs and I need some more protein as well.
Where am I loading up on carbs, I asked myself. For breakfast, I usually include a banana and an apple, those are pretty high in carbs. Some berries would be better. Or just save the fruit for another meal. Because when my breakfast is more or less digested, halfway through the morning (I hardly ever make it through to lunch), I tend to crave carbs, and eat an apple or something like that. The same thing happens in the afternoon, I get tired and get myself a piece of fruit.

It would be better to add fruit to my main meals and in between snack on some protein sources like nuts, or some veggies. And adding more protein to my main meals will probably help just as well.
I also crave for carbs after lunch and dinner, so I occasionally treat myself in the evenings to some more fruit or some home baked snack.
So all in all, I'm going to have some more protein and less carbs and see how that works out. I'll probably get some (or lots of..) detox symptoms, which sucks, but it only takes a few weeks and what's a few weeks if it will make you feel better forever.
While browsing the internet, I realised there are many people who feel exactly the same as I have felt over the last couple of months or who are struggling with sticking to their Paleo diets because of a carb addiction or emotional issues. It might sound a little cruel, but I felt relieved by knowing that and made me convinced even more that I can make the change and stick to it.

Tilapia stir-fry with prunes (serves 1)
- 1 tilapia fillet, diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 winter carrot, chopped
- 6 prunes, chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or frying pan.
2. Stir-fry the garlic, ginger and onion until soft. Add diced tilapia fillet and stir-fry until browned.
3. Add parsnips and carrots and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add prunes, raisis, thyme, cinnamon and pepper. Stir-fry for another couple of minutes.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water and reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally.
5. When the water has evaporated, everything should be cooked.
6. Serve hot, if you want you can add some cashew nuts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment