Pages

January 16, 2011

Chocolate coffee cups

Chocolate coffee cups

Every now and then most people will feel like having a comforting dessert on a lazy, rainy Sunday. Well, today is a lazy, rainy Sunday for me. It isn't raining yet, but it looks as if it can start any moment now.
I had already been planning to adapt a recipe for 'chocolate coffee cups' from one of my cookbooks, as the recipe used milk, cream and sugar.
My version isn't completely guilt free (each serving contains a pretty large amount of chocolate) but it does cut out the dairy and added sugar, so it won't spike your blood sugar as much. The recipe also said this makes 4 servings, but I could barely fill 2 small coffee cups out of it; and since I'm not exactly the type of person who likes small portions, I only made 2 servings. (I didn't need more anyway)
They taste absolutely amazing!
If you want to make these more kid-friendly, I suggest adding 2 tablespoons of agave syrup to reduce the bitterness.


Chocolate coffee cups (serves 2)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 1/4 cup strong black coffee, freshly brewed
- 100g dark chocolate (containing at least 70% cocoa solids)

1. Take 1 tbsp of the coconut milk and dissolve the arrowroot in it, in a small bowl.
2. Bring the rest of the coconut milk to a boil in a small saucepan.
3. When boiling, add arrowroot paste and stir vigorously for about a minute so there won't be any lumps.
4. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the coffee and chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and a thick, smooth mass has formed.
5. Divide the mixture over 2 small cups and put in the fridge for at least an hour, until set.
Serve with a small spoon and take your time to enjoy every single bite. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment