Pages

May 3, 2011

Back home, lots of pictures, and a recipe for Antillean Chicken

Finally, I've got the time (and energy) to post to my blog again, after a really busy weekend at my parents' home.
As I told in my last post, my mom's birthday was last Saturday, so we celebrated that first of all. I'd made her some of my Paleo chocolate hazelnut cookies, which I put in a jar with some ribbons. I'd already given her a raw food cookbook in New York, so this was just a little extra gift.
My mom had been doing some serious baking and pie-making!
First off, she served a strawberry cake, topped with cashew vanilla cream and fresh strawberries. Yum!!
The recipe for the cake was based on Elana's Strawberry cupcakes.

Strawberry coconut cake

In the evening, when it was just the 2 of us, she served her 'masterpiece'! A raw vegan blueberry swirl cheesecake. So good.. Just the thought of it makes me crave for more.
She got the recipe from her new book (the one she got from me in New York); Everyday Raw Desserts. And it worked out really well! It actually tasted like cheesecake, not like the cashews it was made of.
Of course we both had an extra big piece, and once again the day after.

Raw vegan blueberry cheesecake

On Sunday it was time to celebrate my grandparents' birthdays. Their birthdays are less than a week apart, so they celebrated it together. Had a good time.
I also went for a run on Sunday, 5,5km. It was nice and sunny outside, and it's one of my favourite rounds over there so that went well.
For dinner, we had Antillean Chicken. One of our favourite dishes! You'll find the recipe below.

Antillean chicken

Before we knew it, it was Monday again already, and time for me to go to my therapist. I always like going there, it never feels like therapy but more like chatting up and gaining lots of new knowledge about food and overall health.
I did have some electrostress (from the flight to NY and sleeping in a hotel..) and I've become intolerant to some new foods, unfortunately..
From now on I have to avoid:
Hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, Veal (calf meat), Seafood (mussels, shrimp, etc), Black tea, Peppermint and Chamomile.

I already had a vague idea I'd be intolerant to some nuts, and the seafood and black tea didn't come as a surprise to me either. It's a shame I can't have anymore veal and brazil nuts anymore though.. I loved those! And after a quick examination of my tea collection, it turns out there are only 3 of the 6 kinds I have at home I can still drink because most of them had peppermint.
Since I'm intolerant to some nuts all of a sudden I'm afraid I've been eating too much of those. So I'm going to leave them out for a while once again.

Beef burger and veggies

Before heading back home, my mom and me enjoyed a wonderful meal together: beef burgers with stir-fried veggies (Moroccan spiced), and Paleo Apple Crisp for dessert! We always use Jen's Gone Paleo's recipe for apple crisp, because it's delicious.

Jen's Gone Paleo's Apple crumble

And finally.. Here's the recipe for Antillean Chicken!

Antillean Chicken (serves 2)
- 350g chicken fillet, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 peppers (green, red and yellow), chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup prunes, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet or wok and fry onion and garlic until soft.
2. Add chicken and fry until browned.
3. Add the other ingredients, fry for a few minutes and reduce heat to low. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for approx. 15 minutes until done.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment