May 26, 2011
Meatballs in celery tomato sauce with zucchini noodles
Look what I've got! Sarah's book; Everyday Paleo! I got it in the mail yesterday and started browsing through right away. It's the perfect guide for anyone who wants to start on a paleo diet, alone, or with the whole family.
There's a theoretic part in which she clearly explains what the paleo diet is all about, then we get to the really good stuff: recipes! And not just a few, no, a whole lot of them, all equally tasty. There are meal plans inside too, and even an exercise guide with pictures. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading these days!
Below, you'll find a recipe for meatballs in a celery sauce,with zucchini noodles! (I loved my julienne slicer!!)
Meatballs in celery tomato sauce with zucchini noodles (serves 2)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 350g ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 125g celery leaves, coarsely chopped (approx. 4 cups)
- black pepper
- 1 small zucchini
1. In a bowl, combine chopped onion, garlic, beef, egg, garam masala and thyme and mix well with your hands (or a fork).
2. Take small bits of the beef mixture and roll them into balls. (will make approx. 30 meatballs)
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs for about 5 minutes over medium heat until browned on all sides, turn regularly. Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the tomatoes to the remaining fat, and stir in the black pepper and celery leaves.
5. Bring to a simmer and stir occasionally.
6. When the celery has wilted, add the meatballs to the pan, carefully scooping some sauce over them. Simmer for approx. 8 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
7. In the mean time, wash your zucchini and, using a julienne slicer, slice it into long noodles. Divide the noodles over 2 plates.
8. Serve the noodles with the meatballs and celery sauce on top, and enjoy!