Pages

May 14, 2011

Turnip fritters

Turnip fritters

I'm not sure if my cravings will ever go away.. Every single time I eat Paleo for over a week, HUGE cravings come over me and it's so hard to get past those..
Anyhow, this morning I made myself a good paleo breakfast, consisting of a beef burger, some cucumber and turnip fritters.
Last time I had turnips, I combined them with parsnips and turned them into fritters as well. But I found out turnips make great fritters on their own as well, so here's the recipe for you all to enjoy.

I also made a very, very tasty pie, but I'll post that recipe later, so make sure to check back tomorrow.
Tomorrow also is my race day.. 5k and I'm already nervous.. Hopefully it'll all go well.

Turnip fritters (serves 1 or 2)
- 2 turnips, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- small handful of raisins
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a bowl, combine grated turnips, eggs, coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger and raisins and stir until well-combined.
2. Heat half of the coconut oil in a frying pan.
3. Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and drop it in the pan, flatten with the back of your spoon to turn it into a fritter. Repeat until you've got about 4 to 5 fritters in your pan and used up half of the mixture.
4. Fry the fritters for a few minutes on both sides until browned and transfer them to a plate.
5. Heat the remaining coconut oil in the pan and repeat the process with the rest of the turnip mixture.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I made this (without the raisins just to avoid the dried fruit) and I must tell you: it's a wonderful way to use my CSA turnips! Sweet, crispy, simple, and fits my nutritional plan. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Fritters are my go-to dish whenever I have grateable veggies that I don't know what to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the turnips need to be peeled or just well scrubbed?

    ReplyDelete