Pages

May 7, 2011

Asian roast chicken

Asian roast Chicken

Another roast chicken recipe today! Yes, it's my 3rd already, but this time I made it Asian style by using lemongrass and ginger. Divine!
We had wonderful weather today, 27 degrees Celsius and sunny, but not too hot. I went to the gym this morning, before the heat went up, and in the afternoon I had a short swim in a recreational lake nearby and spent the rest of the time sunbathing. (of course I had put on some sunscreen, so I didn't end up looking like a lobster)
The water was pretty cold.. Since I've done lots of open water swimming races in the past, I found it pretty easy to get through, but it was just too cold for a recreational swim. You really had to keep moving to stay warm. It's weird that I never actually feel like swimming, but as soon as I'm in the water, I want to stay there.
I'm thinking about giving it another try tomorrow!

Asian roast chicken (serves 4)
- 1 chicken (approx. 1,5kg)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 winter carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup creamed coconut
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- black pepper
- 2 sticks lemongrass
- 2 cm piece of ginger
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Spice the chicken inside and out with a mixture of 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp paprika, the cardamom and some black pepper. In the mean time heat coconut oil in a Dutch oven.
3. Fry the chicken until browned on all sides and transfer to a plate.
4. In the remaining fat, fry onion and carrot over medium heat for about a minute, then add creamed coconut, lemon juice, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp paprika and some more black pepper. Fry until creamed coconut has dissolved, then add the lemongrass and ginger and put the chicken on top.
5. Cover the pan with a lid and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 90 minutes until done and the juices run clear.
6. Serve the chicken and vegetables with some fresh coriander leaves and dessicated coconut. Enjoy!

1 comment: