Pages

May 16, 2011

Running! and a Banana Cream Pie recipe


That's me! Running my 5k yesterday.
I really enjoyed it, and I'm more than happy with the result! I came in 25th overall (15th in my category) and clocked 20:50!! I wanted to stay under 21 minutes and I did it, I'm so happy about it.
Someone told me I was faster than 99,5% of all participants, and someone else had calculated that I had 24 in front of me, and 4667 behind me. Comments like these make me feel even better :)

So I'm 100% back into the running spirit now and I'm planning to participate in some more races soon. Although I think I can thank most of my result to the crossfit I've been doing which has majorly increased the strength in my legs, core and arms. (and yes, you do use all of those when running)
After the race, I went out to dinner with my parents at our favourite Indian restaurant and had some amazing dishes! I enjoyed the onion bhaji (onion fritters made with chickpea batter and tamarind sauce), seekh kabab bhuna (spiced ground lamb rolls in tomato vegetable sauce) and sag bhaji (very tasty spinach, I don't know what they put in it, but it was very good!).

I had also made a banana cream pie for us to enjoy, so yummy! It's free of so many allergens, you can hardly believe it! Just to sum it up, it's: dairy free, gluten free, grain free, paleo, sugar free, soy free, fruit-sweetened, egg free and nut free. And it tastes absolutely great!
Simplicity is key when it comes to this pie. I actually forgot to take pictures when I was serving it, but I did take some while preparing. I hope that's good enough..

Banana cream pie 2     Banana cream pie 1

Banana cream pie
Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 15 dates (or approx. 6 medjool dates), pitted
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup coconut oil

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until a crumbly mixture forms.
2. Line the base of a springform pan with parchment paper.
3. Press the coconut cocoa mixture in the prepared pan and flatten with the back of a spoon, refrigerate.

Filling:
- 1 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 5 ripe, medium bananas, pureed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla marrow (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)

1. Bring 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan.
2. In the mean time stir the remaining coconut milk and the arrowroot to a smooth paste.
3. When coconut milk is boiling, whisk constantly for about 1 minute, then reduce heat to low.
4. While constantly whisking, pour in the arrowroot paste and keep whisking until well combined (make sure there aren't any lumps!) and the mixture thickens.
5. Whisk in the banana puree and vanilla and pour the filling into the prepared crust.
6. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until set, serve, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Aww, I would make this pie RIGHT NOW if I had not used up most of my coconut milk this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can someone find desiccated coconut or is it the same as unsweetened coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this and it was delicious, but it wouldn't set. The banana part just oozed everywhere even after chilling for hours. We ate it anyway b/c it tasted so good, but I must be doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete