Pages

May 14, 2011

Chicken vindaloo with cauliflower rice

Chicken vindaloo with cauliflower rice

Since I really like roast chicken, I figured I might as well try roasting some drumsticks. The meat is usually really tender and not dry at all, and it takes only 35 minutes to roast them, instead of 90 minutes for a whole chicken. Prefect when you're already a little hungry when you just got home from work and still need to start cooking.
While my drumsticks were roasting, I prepared some cauliflower rice and all together it made a tasty meal.
My first time eating vindaloo was at an Indian restaurant, and I picked it because the sign next to it said 'very, very hot'. I was about 14 years old at that time and thought I'd be able to handle that. The waiter asked me if I was sure about my choice and I told him I was. After all, my dad also took the vindaloo so I could do that too..
About 4 people from the restaurant staff ended up wacthing how I was eating my vindaloo, they were probably sure it was way too hot for me, a pale Dutch girl. Well, it was extremely hot, and my eyes got all teary, but I ate it and loved the taste! That was the day I discovered my love for Indian food.
So when I saw some Vindaloo curry paste at the Asian supermarket a few weeks back, I bought it without hesitation and decided to use it yesterday. I used a 1/4 cup of the curry paste, but it wasn't that hot at all. It was spicy, but not nearly as much as green curry. Next time I might add a red hot chili pepper or 2..
Just a quick warning; if your curry paste is spicy or when you add chili peppers, do NOT eat it prior to a workout. You'll regret it..

This Sunday I'm going out to dinner at my favourite Indian restaurant again (after my race) and I might just try their vindaloo ;-)

Chicken vindaloo with cauliflower rice (serves 2)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 winter carrot, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vindaloo curry paste
- 2 + 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small handful raisins
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a Dutch oven and fry the drumsticks until browned on all sides and transfer them to a plate.
3. In the remaining fat, fry the onion, pepper and carrot for about a minute, then add diced tomatoes and curry paste. Mix well.
4. Put the drumsticks on top of the vegetables and cover the pan with a lid. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 35 minutes until done.
5. In the meantime, chop your cauliflower and rice it by processing the florets in your foodprocessor until it's got a rice-like consistency.
6. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a skillet and fry the spring onions until soft, add cauliflower rice, raisins and coconut milk and season with some black pepper. Fry for a few minutes until creamy but not too wet.
7. Divide the cauliflower rice over 2 plates and put some vegetables with vindaloo sauce on top, along with 3 chicken drumsticks. (or you can take the meat of the bone first, like I did)
8. Top with some fresh coriander leaves, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment