May 25, 2011
Chicken fritatta with avocado
In my opinion, a satisfying, filling breakfast really gives you a good start for the day. In the mornings, my digestive system seems to work most efficiently and I often find myself getting hungry again before my lunch break at work. (which is when I take a quick walk to the restaurant and buy myself a boiled egg and sometimes a tomato as well)
And it doesn't just work until lunch, everytime I get hungry before lunchtime, I will also get even more hungry before dinner. Hunger makes cycling back home, motivating myself to cook a nice dinner, and not collapsing on the couch afterwards become pretty hard. Let alone going for a workout in the evening!
So, a good breakfast is key!
The breakfast I made this morning will certainly keep me going for a longer time and I'll be energized all through the day. I served this fritatta with 1/2 avocado on top, really good!
Oh and something completely different; I booked the perfect accomodation for Yosemite National Park last night! I'm going to stay at Curry Village, in a canvas tent. I always wanted to sleep in the park for a night and this seemed like the perfect way to do it. It's just for 1 night, but I'm going to love it. It's my second time visiting Yosemite NP so I felt I didn't need to stay there for a longer time. On my way there I'll drive over the Tioga pass (since I'm coming from Lake Tahoe) and I plan to do some hiking in the valley in the afternoon. Let's just hope no bears will pay curry village a visit when I'm there.. Just the idea that I need to store all food and scented items (toiletries and such) in a bear proof locker on the outside of my tent gets me all excited. (and hoping none will attack my tent of course, you never know, but if this would happen on a regular basis, the village would probably have closed down by now)
Chicken fritatta (serves 1)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 100g cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
1. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for a few minutes until soft.
2. Add chicken, curry powder, ground coriander and black pepper and fry for another minute.
3. In the mean time, whisk together the eggs and coconut milk in a bowl.
4. Add grated carrot and coriander leaves to the chicken mixture, mix well, then reduce heat to low.
5. Pour the eggs over the chicken and vegetables in the pan and cover the pan with a lid.
6. Fry for approx. 10 minutes until set. Serve, and enjoy!