Pages

May 22, 2011

Yellow curry roast chicken

Yellow curry roast chicken

I had spiced some chicken with yellow curry paste once before, and it was really good. This time however, I decided to roast a chicken in some and see how it turns out. I also had some lemongrass and ginger in my freezer, which I added, because I love the way those spices add extra flavour.
Of course I burnt my hand on my oven once again, but that even happens to chefs, right? (I sure hope so, because it would make me feel less stupid)

I had lots and lots of energy today, so I went for a good workout and, for a change, I didn't do much else except for giving my kitchen (I almost typed 'chicken' right there) a good cleanse and reading some articles about crossfit and paleo/primal food. I was hungry all day, so I had lunch at 11 am and dinner at 3.30 pm, and hopefully I wont get hungry anymore before breakfast tomorrow.
It's actually nice to just sit around and enjoy having energy instead of being forced to sit down because you've ran out of energy.
Tomorrow: market day! And some running :) (and cleaning and everything else I postponed today)

Yellow curry roast chicken (serves 3-4)
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 1,5kg)
- 1/4 cup yellow curry paste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 6 large carrots, chopped
- 100g shii-takes, chopped
- 1 sprig lemongrass
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger root
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp creamed coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and heat the coconut oil in a Dutch oven.
2. In the mean time, stuff your chicken with half of the curry paste and rub the outside of the chicken with the other half.
3. Fry chicken in coconut oil over medium heat, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
4. In the remaining fat, fry the onion, pepper, carrots and shii-takes for a few minutes. Then add the chicken, lemongrass, ginger and lemon.
5. Cover the pan with a lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for approx. 90 minutes until the chicken is done and the juices run clear.
6. Allow the chicken to absorb some of the juices by letting it sit for 10-15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a chopping board and carve it, divide the meat over 3 or 4 plates.
7. Reheat the vegetables (don't take out the spices just yet!) on the stove over medium heat and dissolve the creamed coconut in it.
8. Divide the vegetables over the plates, next to the chicken, and serve with some chopped coriander on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment