Pages

July 13, 2011

Whole 30 - Day 25 & Low blood sugar issues

I don't feel too good today..
Dizziness has been bothering me all day, and I had the feeling it had something to do with my blood sugar levels. The advantage of working at a hospital, is that you can get yourself tested for pretty much everything all day, so I did a blood glucose test. It was 3.3 mmol/l, and the girl who tested it looked at me as if she were surprised I was still standing. 'That's really low!! You should see your physician about this!'
Everyone who heard it advised me to eat some sugar.


Of course, I didn't do that! Although no one seemed to understand when I tried to explain that when I were to eat sugar, my blood sugar would rise for a short while, making me feel a little better, and would then lead to an even worse crash making me feel worse than before consuming the sugar in the first place.
I figured my blood sugar was supposed to be lower than the average person's due to my diet, which is pretty low in carbs, but this might be on the low side for me too.
I never gave this subject any reading, as my hypoglycemia symptoms had disappeared ever since I went paleo, and I figured that it wouldn't bother me ever again. I guess I was wrong.
First off, I got myself an apple and a banana and ate those, I figured they wouldn't raise my blood glucose levels too rapidly, since I'd had lunch less than an hour before. Then I waited, and the dizziness went away for exactly 10 minutes, no more. Conclusion: eating fruit does not help when your blood sugar is low. And I should have known this before I ate it.
In fact, I did know! After all, your body is perfectly able to regulate your blood sugar all day long, when this mechanism fails, you're either eating too much carbs (there's hardly no such thing as eating too little carbs) or there's an underlying problem.

Back home, I googled it, and didn't find that many useful articles. I did learn that this can be caused by an infection (and some more serious conditions, which I suppose I don't have), but I thought I was over that virus that had been bothering me 2 weeks ago.

Every time I have health concerns, I call my bioresonance therapist. It's as if she knows the answer to pretty much anything that's bothering me.
She asked me a few questions and came to the conclusion that the virus I had 2 weeks ago is most likely to be causing this. Advice: extra vitamin C and extra rest.
That's not too hard.. And to be honest, I didn't really allow myself to get over the virus when I should have. So, I'm going to bed really early tonight! And I'll take some vitamin C right now.
Hopefully I'll be over this soon!


Here's what I ate today:


Whole 30 day 25 - 1
Breakfast:
Egg salad, stir-fried swiss chard, tomatoes and leftover grilled turkey


Whole 30 day 25 - 2
Lunch:
Lettuce, kohlrabi, 1/2 avocado, chives, parsley and salmon


Whole 30 day 25 - 3
Dinner:
Salad with celery, lettuce, swiss chard and tomatoes, topped with leftover ground beef


Snack:
Apple, banana

3 comments:

  1. I'm on day 9 and have had the same issue the last couple of days since I cut down on sweet potato. I used to have issues with hypoglycemia but going mostly paleo had put an end to that! Going to be more careful to have carbs at every meal and eat some more fruit even though I don't have any particular desire to. It's also that time of the month so I was wondering if that was having an effect on my BSL's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been Paleo since last April. I have not followed it real well over the holidays. Went to the doctor 2 days ago and my blood sugar was 49. That is way way to low. Now I need to decide what to eat to keep it more even. I though eating Paleo would make me way more healthy. The paleo diet has helped my Asthma so much I really hate to go back on grains & wheat. Any ideas? Maybe some of you Paleo'ers out there can help me. If I had just started it I would think it would go away. Never had low blood sugar before.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become hypoglycemic since completing the whole 30 and I feel awful... I feel like I constantly have to feed myself and I'm tempted to just eat a bag of gummy bears and see how I feel.

    ReplyDelete