Pages

July 20, 2011

Braised purple cabbage

Braised purple cabbage 2

I'm back! Just took a short break from blogging after my Whole30. At first it was strange I didn't 'have' to take pictures of my food every time anymore, but I've already gotten used to it again. Plus, now I don't need to make my food look so 'decent' with each and every meal. Sometimes you just want to throw together a bunch of food, as long as it tastes good.


Foodwise, I haven't changed anything so far. Except for those raisins and walnuts I had yesterday morning, I have been eating pretty much in the same way as I did over the last month.
But, it's time for a new recipe now! Braised purple cabbage. It takes up some oven time, but preparation is quick and easy.

Braised purple cabbage (serves 4)
- 1 head purple cabbage
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium winter carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted over very low heat
- 1/3 cup apple juice (or water)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon


1. Heat oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
2. Rinse the cabbage and cut it into 8 wedges, don't remove the core, it will help keeping the wedges together.
3. Put the cabbage wedges into a large baking dish and divide the onion and carrots over them.
4. Add the coconut oil and apple juice to the baking dish and dust everything with cinnamon.
5. Cover the dish with aluminium foil, tightly wrapping it around the edges, and bake for 1 hour.
6. Remove the dish from the oven, carefully remove the foil and turn the wedges over. Add some more apple juice if the dish is starting to dry out.
7. Cover with foil again and bake for another hour.
8. Remove the foil, turn the heat up to 200 degrees Celsius and bake for another 20 minutes until the vegetables are starting to brown.
9. Divide the wedges over 4 plates and serve with protein of your choice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment