Pages

July 8, 2011

Whole 30 - Day 20 & Post-WOD meal confusion

Weekend! Finally..
My last day at work was a nice one though. It was as calm as I'd expected it to be, well, except for maybe the patient who almost collapsed 5 minutes after I'd done some tests with her. I swear I didn't give her anything, really!


The strange thing is that I've been hungry pretty much all day long, despite eating quite some food. I had to get 2 boiled eggs at 11 AM, otherwise I wouldn't quite make it to lunch time. And when I got home I was too hungry to spend a lot of time cooking, so I simply chopped some cabbage; stir-fried it and added grilled salmon. After finishing that I went back for another serving of cabbage because I was still hungry.
Seems like my digestion is speeding up..


I also did some groceries tonight and couldn't resist buying another eggplant to make some more coconut baba ghanoush. It's just so tasty..
It's in my fridge now, firming up a little, and I will be enjoying it for breakfast tomorrow. How could I ever have missed this wonderful dish!? I guess making new discoveries is a good thing.


Since work wasn't busy at all, I've been doing some reading on post workout nutrition. Especially this article by Robb Wolf. It's a very useful post and made me realize that my own post WOD meal should consist of lean protein and some carbs (i.e. veggies) and little fat.
I was actually planning to have an avocado after my workout tomorrow, but apparently fat slows your digestive system, and speed is what we need post workout because we want to repair our muscles quickly. But glycogen release should be slowed down a little too, so I still do need a little fat, and.. oh, the confusion!!
Others say it doesn't really matter if and what you eat after a workout, but I'm going to give this a try and see what I feel like. After all, I'm going to CrossFit Twente tomorrow for what's most likely going to be a tough WOD!
Therefore I've been playing around with my meal plan for tomorrow (normally I just plan meals that I think I'm going to enjoy and that will include some fat, lots of protein and lots of veggies) and figured I should get most of my fat in the morning, along with protein and some carbs. Then a high protein, post workout lunch with some carbs and little fat. And a 'normal' dinner; the way I usually have dinner.
Let's see what happens.. I'll be able to tell you tomorrow!


Please note that I'm just trying to find out what feels best for my body, you could call it a little experiment. I do have this slight clue that I won't really notice a difference.. I'm usually hungry after a workout, and basically any meal will do just fine, without making me feel sluggish. What else could you wish for?


These are my meals for the day:


Whole 30 day 20 - 1
Breakfast:
Baba ghanoush, leftover beef strips, fried egg, a tomato, carrot and 1/2 avocado


Whole 30 day 20 - 2
Lunch:
Salad with curried chicken


Whole 30 day 20 - 3
Dinner:
Stir-fried cabbage with coconut milk and salmon


Snack:
2 boiled eggs and a carrot

No comments:

Post a Comment