Pages

April 25, 2011

Mackerel patties

Mackerel patties

Here's my second attempt on these mackerel patties. Last time they fell apart when I tried to flip them because they were too wet and just didn't hold together. So this morning I made them again and used an extra egg, a little more coconut flour and some more mackerel too. Worked out really well! I loved them :)
My recipe below calls for peppered smoked mackerel. However, if you can't find any, you could also use plain smoked mackerel and add crushed peppercorns yourself. I'd suggest using approx. 1 tsp.
I served my patties with a quick salad that I made out of tomato, raw cauliflower and carrot, so all in all it made a good breakfast.
I'm not sure what I'll be up to during the rest of the day but I'm certainly going to go outside and enjoy the sun. And do some more cooking, of course..


Mackerel patties (serves 2)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 200g peppered smoked mackerel
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a food processor, pulse together the onion and spinach to a coarse mass.
2. Take the skin off the smoked mackerel and tear the mackerel into pieces, add to the foodprocessor.
3. Add eggs, paprika and coconut flour and process until almost smooth and a bit sticky.
4. Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and drop 1/4 cup sized amounts of the mackerel mixture in the pan, slightly flatten them with the back of a spoon. Use about half of the mixture for your first batch. (makes approx. 4 patties)
5. Fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side over medium heat, until golden brown and done.
6. Repeat with the rest of the batter, serve hot and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It didn't turn out well at all for me, I turned it into mackerel mash up since it wouldn't form into patties.

    ReplyDelete