April 22, 2011
Coconut lettuce soup
Finally, I made an attempt on lettuce soup! I still had a whole head of iceberg lettuce in my fridge and didn't feel like making a salad out of it at all. I'm still into salads these days, but not the plain kind..
On of my colleagues once mentioned she made something like this and said it was really nice. The idea of boiled and pureed lettuce didn't seem too good to me, but I figured I could give it a try. It worked out really well! I loved it, and am certainly going to make it again.
The Easter weekend is coming right up now, so I'm going to head to the supermarket really early tomorrow morning (to avoid the crowds) and start shopping for some good food to cook with. Will let you know how it turned out!
Coconut lettuce soup (serves 4)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head (iceberg) lettuce, chopped
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup creamed coconut
1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil, then add garlic and onion and reduce heat to low.
2. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes, then add lettuce.
3. Simmer for another 5 minutes until lettuce is soft, stir in some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
4. Puree the soup with a hand blender until smooth.
5. Stir in creamed coconut until completely dissolved.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!