Pages

April 4, 2011

Garam masala burgers and creamy pak choi

Garam masala burgers and creamy pak choi

Today's lunch turned out really well! I didn't even mean to turn it into a recipe, but I liked it a lot so I figured I might as well post it.
I often make burgers out of steak tartar, because I like the taste and structure better than when I'd use ground beef.

This morning I went to the market again and it's a good think I've been working out a lot as I loaded my bag with loads of veggies. It all looked so tasty. And then I saw a nice butternut and a huge cauliflower, and, and.. Before I knew it I could hardly carry the stuff anymore.
People who see me walking around with that huge amount of veggies, carefully piled up into 2 baskets and still trying to add some more without everything falling on the ground, still give me funny looks as if I'm going to feed a huge family.
Unless someone asks explicitly, I'll never tell it only takes me a week to eat all of that, by myself.

The herbs I seeded last week have already started growing! The thyme, basil and mint have sprouted already, and the coriander shows signs of sprouting too. So I only need to wait for the parsley and chives to come up too. I hope they'll survive when I'm in NYC though.. Would be a shame if they didn't, but I guess they will.

Garam masala burgers (serves 2)
- 1 medium winter carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 250g steak tartar
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a food processor, combine carrot, onion and garlic and process until crumbly.
2. Add egg, steak tartar, coriander leaves and spices and process until almost smooth.
3. Form 6 burgers of the mixture and put them on a plate.
4. Heat coconut oil in a cast iron frying pan and fry burgers over medium low heat until browned and done. This will take approx. 8 minutes, flipping them halfway.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

Creamy pak choi (serves 2)
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 medium heads pak choi, chopped, stems and leaves separated
- 2 tbsp creamed coconut
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet or wok and fry sping onions for a minute until soft, add pak choi stems and fry for another minute.
2. Add pak choi leaves, creamed coconut and spices and fry until creamed coconut has dissolved completely and the pak choi leaves have wilted.
3. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment