Pages

April 2, 2011

Curry meatballs and caraway roasted celeriac

Curry meatballs and roast celeriac

Today was as beautiful as they said it would be! Warm and sunny! So of course I couldn't resist going outside for a while, and I didn't even need a coat, just a t-shirt, and some sunglasses of course.
For dinner I made myself these meatballs in a creamy curry sauce. They were quite spicy because of the curry powder I used and because I added a red hot chili pepper (no, not one from the band..) so if you don't like spicy food; use a mild curry powder and don't add the pepper..
I served them with celeriac, roasted with carway seeds. I diced them to make them look like those potato cubes I used to love, but of course they were nothing like it. Still really good though, you just can't compare them! I'd never cooked with caraway seeds before, but I liked them, they added a nice aromatic taste to the celeriac. I don't really know how else I can use them yet, but I'll probably think of something soon.

Curry meatballs

Curry meatballs (serves 2)
- 400g ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 100g shii-take, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. In a bowl, combine ground beef, garlic, egg, paprika, ground coriander, ginger and coriander leaves. Mix well (with a fork or your hands), then form approx. 24 small meatballs out of the mixture.
2. Heat coconut oil in a wok or skillet and fry the meatballs until browned on all sides. Transfer them to a plate.
3. In the remaining fat, fry the onion and pepper until soft, then add shii-take, coconut milk and curry powder.
4. Return meatballs to the pan and simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes until meatballs are done and the sauce has thickened.
5. Serve hot with veggies of your choice, and enjoy!

Caraway roasted celeriac

Caraway roasted celeriac (serves 2, as a side dish)
- 1/2 celeriac, diced
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine celeriac with caraway seeds, pepper and oil and toss to mix.
3. Spread the celeriac out over the prepared baking tray, don't overcrowd them, and bake for approx. 30-35 minutes until done.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment