Pages

March 28, 2011

Salmon with kohlrabi leaves and parsnip

Salmon with parsnip and kohlrabi leaves

Today I used a rather unusual vegetable to cook with: kohlrabi leaves!
They had beautiful kohlrabis at the market, with all the leaves still in tact. Normally, I'd just pull those off and throw them away, but I figured those might actually be edible.. After some googling I found out you can use them as you would use any other leafy green vegetable, so I used them in a stir-fry with salmon and parsnip. Tastes really good!
I'm not quite sure what you could compare the taste of the kohlrabi leaves with as they don't have a specific taste. They just make a good addition to pretty much any dish.
I served mine with zucchini fritters, although judging from the picture (and the amount of fritters) you could also say I served my fritters with the salmon stir-fry. Made a tasty meal either way!

Salmon with kohlrabi leaves and parsnip (serves 2)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 300g salmon fillet, diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of kohlrabi leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Heat coconut oil in a wok or skillet and fry onion and garlic until soft.
2. Add salmon and fry until browned, then add parsnip and spices and fry for a few minutes until the parsnip starts getting soft.
3. Add kohlrabi leaves and fry until wilted, this takes about a minute or less.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment