Pages

March 19, 2011

Minty mussels and leeks with celeriac pasta, and a new pan!!

Minty mussels and leeks with celeriac pasta

I'm so happy right now, I just got a package delivered to my home containing a beautiful Le Creuset Dutch oven! Last month, I bought some Irish beef with a sticker from the Irish food board on it. You had to fill out the barcode of the beef and your address and such online in order to participate, and apparently I won!
It's cobalt blue and 24cm in diameter. So a whole chicken will easily fit in there.
I can't wait to start cooking in my new pan =)

Le Creuset pan

Since I hardly ever eat seafood (ok, never..) I thought it would be a good idea to experiment with it. I do like shrimp, but I'm intolerant to those, so I simply bought a bag of frozen mussels and started cooking.
This is what I ended up making, and I loved it!
I loved the taste, but I definitely had to get used to the texture of the mussels. I made sure I didn't heat them too long, to prevent them from getting rubbery, which worked out well. But I still felt like I was eating small animals and I even found some kind of tongue inside my mussels.. So I kept telling myself not to think about what I was eating, and to just taste it. After some research on wikipedia I found out the 'tongue' I found, actually was the 'foot' of the mussel. (that's not as bad as a tongue, right?)

Anyway, I'm definitely going eat mussels again! They taste good, and I'm sure I'll get over the idea of eating a small animal including it's tongue soon.

Minty mussels and leeks with celeriac pasta (serves 2)
- 1/2 celeriac, peeled
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1/4 cup creamed coconut
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped + some extra loose leaves
- 400g cooked mussels (fresh, or frozen and defrosted)
- 1 tsp coconut oil

1. Cut the celeriac into slices and use a vegetable peeler to turn it into pasta ribbons. (like Fettucine)
2. Boil some water in a steamer and steam the celeriac pasta for approx. 3 minutes until done.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the leeks over medium heat until soft.
4. Add creamed coconut, 1/2 cup of water, curry powder, cardamom, lemon juice and mint and fry for about a minute until creamy.
5. Stir in mussels and heat for another minute, until heated through.
6. Serve the celeriac pasta with the mussels and leeks on top and garnish with some of the extra mint leaves. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment