Pages

March 13, 2011

High Tea and Raw Vegan Lemon Cheesecake

High Tea 1

This post should actually be my mom's post, because she's the one who prepared all this delicious food.
She did so much baking and put a huge amount of time into preparing every single item of food we had today. And it all tasted great! Plus, we had a really good time having this high tea while talking about travelling and sharing our next holiday plans.

High Tea 3

Here's what she made: (everything's grain free, dairy free and sugar free)
- Cashew vanilla 'clotted cream'
- Apple cinnamon cupcakes
- Blackberry vanilla muffins
- Breakfast bars
- Flaxseed bread sandwiches (with garlic mayo, tomato, cucumber, egg and/or ham)
- Cranberry scones
- Chocolate cake with chocolate date frosting
And then there also was some nougat, marzipan and chocolate covered candied orange.

Of course, we weren't able to finish all of it. I was so full, and even felt a little sick. (I ate most of the 3 of us) It's about 7 hours since we ate all of this and I'm still full!
I guess I won't feel like eating any more nuts for the next few weeks..

The best pie we had, however, was the one she served me yesterday evening. Wow! A raw, vegan, lemon cheesecake. Best pie ever!
She adapted this recipe from Gluten Free Krums.
Of course I just have to share my mom's version as well:

Raw vegan lemon cheesecake

Raw Vegan Lemon Cheesecake (serves 8)
Base:
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup walnuts
- 12 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Put all ingredients in a foodprocessor and process until a coarse, sticky mixture.
2. Transfer the mixture to a tart pan and divide over the bottom and press firmly to create the base.

Filling:
- 3 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup agave
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla

1. Put all ingredients in a foodprocessor and process until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture onto the base and put the cheesecake into the freezer for approx. 3 hours.
3. Cut into 8 pieces, serve and enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Any chance your mother is looking to adopt another daughter? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or perhaps a son?

    Wow, those pix really make me hungry, my insulin is probably shooting up as I type! I'll have to try the lemon cheesecake...I've got about a dozen lemons from my dad's tree just waiting to be put to good use.

    Sounds like the high tea came off wonderfully, that's great to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the filling part of this cheesecake and it was amazinggggg. So good! I made it with a biscuit base because I'm a sucker for biscuit base, and a lemon curd topping.
    Do you mind if I post the filling recipe on my blog, studioofmae.blogspot.com with a link back to this page?
    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bec, I'm glad you loved the cheesecake filling ;) I don't mind at all if you post the recipe, as long as you link back to me it's not a problem!
    Marinka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    http://studioofmae.blogspot.com/2011/05/vegan-lemon-cheesecake.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://studioofmae.blogspot.com/2011/05/vegan-lemon-cheesecake.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have put on a vegan high tea once and it was wonderul! Looks like your mum baked up a storm.
    Just curious, is the lemon pie/cheesecake actually end up frozen after being in the freezor for such a long time? Ive been looking for a good cheesecake recipe for some time now.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rose! The cheesecake doesn't end up frozen at all, it just gets nice and firm in those 3 hours. You could also refrigerate the pie overnight, that will work just as well, it mostly depends on when you are planning to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh great, thanks Marinka. Oh and just to check, the cashew nuts are soaked in just water overnight? I will let you know how I go with it :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the cashews are soaked in just water overnight, nothing else :) Can't wait to hear how your cheesecake turns out! Would be great if you'd let me know!
    Marinka

    ReplyDelete